Hey, Don't Throw That Fried Chicken Out...
When You Can Make This Delectable Salad!
Serves approx. 4-6
- 4 medium-large fried (crispy best) chicken breasts or the equivalent amount of thighs*
- 1 c. toasted walnuts, pecans or almonds (I used slivered almonds)*
- approx. 2 c. cleaned, stems removed, grapes (if small, leave whole; if large, cut in half)
- approx. 2 c. cleaned and cored apples, cut into chunks with the skin left on (I used Fuji...use your favorite)
- approx. 3 c. cleaned and hulled strawberries, cut lengthwise into quarters
- approx. 1 c. mayonnaise (I used low-fat with olive oil)
- table salt to taste (doesn't need much, as the chicken will be already seasoned)
- *Discard the majority of the skin, saving some bits, and cut the fried chicken into about 1/2" chunks. (About 4-5 c. total chunks of chicken and bits of skin.)
- Gently toss all ingredients together, coating the chicken and fruit well with the mayonnaise and salt. Refrigerate (ideally at least a couple of hours) before serve. Will keep well about 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold on a bed of lettuce with or without your favorite cracker.
- Chunks of fresh pineapple would be amazing in this salad.
- My current favorite way to toast nuts is in the toaster oven: Line the broiler pan to the toaster oven with foil. Scatter the nuts in one layer on top of the foil. Place on the lower rack of the toaster oven and bake at 400º for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch closely...do not leave unattended, as the nuts will toast very quickly!
The next time you buy fried chicken; you'll actually be looking forward to the leftovers, so you can enjoy this delightful salad!
Post a Comment