For a heartier soup, you could add cooked, crumbled chicken or turkey sausage.
This Is So Flavorful and Sooo Good...
I'll Have Another Bowl, Please!
Approx. 1-2 servings
- 1 medium, approx. 1/2 lb., sweet potato, cleaned, peeled and cut into about 1/2" cubes or pieces (about 1 c. cooked)
- Approx. 2 c. fresh, cleaned kale leaves, cut or torn into about 1" pieces
- Approx. 1/2 c., as needed, extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 ea. 18.5 oz can butternut squash soup (I used Progresso)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray for pans
- Preheat Oven to 400º.
- Line 2 shallow sheet pans with sides with foil and spray with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Scatter the prepared sweet potatoes in one layer on one of the prepared pans. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat the potato pieces well and roast for about 20-24 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes roast, prepare the kale: Scatter the pieces of kale in one layer onto the other prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper to taste. Stir to coat the kale pieces well and place in the oven along with the sweet potato pieces about 5 minutes before the potatoes are done and roast about 3 minutes or until the kale pieces are crisp and a little brown...WATCH closely, as they will roast quickly! Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Pour the soup into a 2 to 2 1/2 qt. sauce pan and add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Heat on hi simmer until hot (a couple of minutes), then add the sweet potato cubes and kale chips (room temperature or hot) and heat about another 2 minutes all the way through.