A well-known side to corned beef, these incredibly delicious cabbage wedges are an ideal accompaniment to many meat dishes. I marvel each time I make them how easy, inexpensive and fantastic they are!
I Never Knew I Could Love Cabbage So Much...
Until I Savored These Tangy Babies!
As adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen's recipe for Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon
via Good Life Eats
Serves approx. 4-5
- Canola or olive oil non-stick cooking spray for the pan
- l head of green cabbage (I used a small head), rinsed w/cool water, dried with paper towels and bad outer leaves removed
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TB fresh lemon juice (from about one medium-large cleaned lemon)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About 2 lemons, cleaned and sliced into quarters, for squeezing on cabbage when served
- Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Line a baking sheet or pan with sides with heavy duty foil and spray with the non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage into 4 or 8 equal wedges, cutting through the core and stem end. (I found that 4 wedges from a small head of cabbage are easier to maintain their shape; however, you will acquire more roasted flavor if you can cut into 8 wedges.) Place each slice with one cut side down in a single layer on your baking pan.
- Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice well and apply with a pastry brush to side facing up of each cabbage wedge. Sprinkle each slice to taste with the salt and pepper. (Kalyn recommended seasoning generously).
- Turn each cabbage wedge carefully to the other side and repeat application of the dressing and seasoning.
- Roast the slices for about 15 minutes, or until the undersides are browned.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn the wedges over. Return the pan to the oven and roast 10-15 more minutes, until the slices are browned and cooked through with a little bite to them (not too soft).
- Serve hot with lemon slices on the side for squeezing on extra juice.