Between all the holiday fare, you and your family will love this uncomplicated and comforting, cheesy beef casserole made with homestyle egg noodles!
Nice To Come Home To...
And So Easy...Give It To The Teenagers To Prepare!
As adapted from stagetecture.com Beef and Cheddar Noodle Casserole Recipe
Serves approx. 6
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Salt, to taste, for boiling the noodles, plus 1/2 tsp. table salt, divided, for the casserole
- 3 c. (about 5 oz.) extra wide egg noodles (I used Mueller's Hearty Homestyle Egg Noodles.)
- 1 1/2 c. sour cream (I used light.)
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef chuck (To achieve chunky pieces of meat, I used ground beef chuck ground for chili.)
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned, seeded and medium chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, cleaned and finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 TB tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/ea. 14 1/2 oz. can petite diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 c. grated Colby-Jack cheese
Though it is satisfying and delectable just as it is, next time I will try adding sauteed mushrooms.
Why Katie, This Is So Good...
Maybe I Should Let You Cook Every Night!
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the noodles...cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain the noodles and return to the pot. Toss the noodles with the sour cream, Parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp. table salt. Set aside.
- Spray an 8" x 11 1/2" x 2" (2 qt.) baking dish with the cooking spray.
- Spread the noodle mixture into the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a fork, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions, stirring and cooking until crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato paste and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp. table salt.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Distribute the beef mixture over the noodles in the baking dish and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbly...about 15-20 minutes. (My casserole was ready in 15 minutes.)
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your warm and cozy casserole with a nice garlic bread and tossed salad. It'll take you back to another time...swinging your legs under the table while Dad tells you to sit up straight and Mom caters to your every wish...