When I discovered Dawdling Darlings' easy, chunky cranberry applesauce, I knew this was ideal for our celebration. I made twice as much as the original recipe, so I altered the other ingredients as well and omitted the water. To achieve a chunky applesauce, it was not pureed.
The festive red color of this sauce makes it an ideal condiment or side dish for your Christmas meals.
Tart, Tangy and ....
As inspired by dawdlingdarlings.com Crock-Pot Cranberry Applesauce
I estimate this recipe makes about 6 cups and 12 servings. (With the crazy of the two holidays combined, I forgot to measure.)
- 6 lbs (about 16 medium-large) apples (I used half Fuji and half Gala.)
- 12 oz. (about 3 c.) fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 2 TB ground cinnamon
- 1 TB pure vanilla extract
- Clean, core and slice the apples into eighths. (I peeled them for the grandchildren, but you can keep the skins on if you like...per the original recipe.)
- Chop about 4 sliced apples at a time in your food processor, on pulse, into about 1/2" pieces. Place the chopped apples into a large, 5 qt. slow cooker.
- Break up the brown sugar with a fork and mix with the cinnamon...sprinkle over the apples and stir well. Stir in the vanilla.
- Cook on high for 3 1/4 hours and stir every 30 minutes to avoid scorching. Remove the lid and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Scoop the applesauce into a bowl or container and cool about 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for least one hour before serving to enjoy chilled.
- Will keep about 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Enjoy a very crimson and tangy holiday with this sophisticated, chunky cranberry applesauce!
Wishing you and yours a Very Happy Holiday!