Craving some protein? Make it on Sunday and have it for leftovers during the week...a salad, a sandwich or just more delicious roast chicken. That wing or leg will haunt you for a late night snack!
The aroma of a chicken roasting in the oven just seems to say:
Salivating? Let's Cut Into It...
Serves 4 or more
- 1 plump roasting chicken (about 4 to 5 lbs.)
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- dried thyme leaves
- dried rosemary leaves
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Place a rack in a shallow roasting (or baking) pan which you've lined w/foil.*
- Wash the chicken and remove any fat,* neck or giblets from the inside.
- Pat the chicken dry and place it breast up on the rack in the pan.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle all the seasonings on the top of the chicken.
- Place in the oven and roast uncovered about 30 minutes per lb. or until a drumstick moves easily at the joint and the juices run clear, or the chicken registers at least 180º when a thermometer is inserted. (Check after about 1 to 1 1/2 hours and if already golden brown, loosely cover with a tent of foil to keep from over browning.)
- You can save any fat for schmaltz, see: "The Schmaltz" under "Bon Bon's Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls".
- Over the years, I've used so many different configurations of a roasting pan for this chicken. Generally I use whatever is handy. I've even used a toaster-oven rack in a baking pan. You really don't need anything fancy...just a rack and a pan! (This note is especially for those who don't own a lot of equipment or are just starting out in the kitchen). However, if you happen to have an impressive roasting pan and rack, enjoy it!
- My Not Just White Chicken Chili would be great for using leftover chicken breast from this roast!
Let the chicken rest a few minutes before slicing. (I prefer an electric knife to achieve attractive slices.) You'll feel like Mama just wrapped her arms around you while you enjoy this with your favorite sides!*
*Suggested Sides:My Simple Side Salad with Avocado and Satisfying Spatzle Casserole with Swiss Cheese; Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Nut Topping or Yellow Summer Squash Casserole.