Even Better Than Rice Krispies Treats...
At Least That's What My Kids Said!
Approx. 24 ea. 2" squares
- 3 TB butter
- one 10 oz. pkg. regular (about 40 ea.) or 4 c. miniature marshmallows
- 3 c. Reese's Puffs cereal (chocolate and peanut-butter-flavored corn puffs)
- 3 c. Rice Krispies cereal
- 7 oz. bottle Reese's Peanut-Butter Topping*
- 7.25 oz. bottle Hershey's (Chocolate-Flavored) Shell Topping*
- Melt the butter in a deep sauce pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, with a large plastic spoon, mix in both of the cereals. Finish mixing well by kneading with your hands which you have sprayed with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Still using your hands, spread the mixture as evenly as possible into a 13x9x2 inch pan (I prefer glass for this recipe).
- Let cool and set up for about 1/2 hour.
- Cut the set mixture into 2" squares and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Drizzle the peanut-butter topping over the squares. Freeze for about five minutes or until set. Then drizzle the chocolate-flavored topping over the peanut-butter topping. Freeze the squares again for another approximate five minutes. Alternate cookie sheets in the freezer between drizzling the squares. (The peanut-butter topping requires a good squeeze, whereas the chocolate-flavored topping flows easily without hardly squeezing...shake both toppings well before using.)
- For presentation, serve the squares in paper cups.
The toppings can be located in the ice-cream topping area of a grocery store. You will have some topping left over (enjoy it on your ice cream!). With these toppings, the squares have to be refrigerated. If you want to transport the squares or ship them in a college-care or similar package, melt some chocolate-flavored-candy coating and peanut-butter-flavored candy coating and drizzle over the squares in lieu of the ice-cream toppings. The candy coatings (found at craft stores or online) will set and hold up better at room temperature than the ice-cream toppings.
If you use the ice-cream toppings, keep the squares in the refrigerator (until ready to serve) in a covered plastic container with sheets of wax paper between layers. You can freeze the squares if you need to store for more than a week and thaw them a little before serving (again, keep extra ones in the refrigerator).
Spray all working utensils with a butter-flavored cooking spray before using.
To clean your pot easily: add a little dish detergent, fill with warm water and let soak a while.
You Can't Eat Just One!
Make them for an after-school snack or with the kids for fun (or just make them because you're craving them)! Enjoy!
Oh yum! These look way better than regular rice crispy treats!ReplyDelete
Yummy..and crispy tooo...ReplyDelete
What a great idea! I went through a phase where I loved that cereal. Thanks for sharing another delicious recipe with me. I'm eating a very late lunch and enjoying your post. I hope you have a great week...stay cool!ReplyDelete
@ Dulce Dough, SavithaRaj's Spice Land and Monet: Thanks so much guys...they're pretty addictive. So good yet so easy! Hope you try and enjoy!ReplyDelete
Love combining the Puffs and the Crispies, what a great combination! Every now and again one of us - he's the bigger one- gets a hankering for yummy childhood cereals, usually Cap'n Crunch, and this looks like a great way to satisfy that craving.ReplyDelete
@Cheryl and Adam @pictureperfectmeals.com: I'm discovering that a lot of adults are closet kiddie-cereal lovers. Also, it was a long time before I knew a lot of people eat cereal for a light supper. After a while, I started having (a more healthy) cereal for supper when I sometimes worked late.ReplyDelete
I have said these squares are a true sweet version of cold cereal (w/o the bowl)!
such a good idea! very creative :)ReplyDelete
@whatmegansmaking: Thanks so much!ReplyDelete
Oh, yum!!! A new variation of my favorite Rice Krispie treats...irresistible, Bonnie!ReplyDelete
@Lizzy: Thanks! The ice-cream toppings really satisfy that peanut butter and chocolate craving in an extra easy way!ReplyDelete
Mmmmmmm...peanut butter and chocolate and crispy.ReplyDelete