The Perfect Take-Along Dish
Approximately 8 servings
- One 17.6 oz. bag spatzle (Swabian egg noodles)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. nutmeg*
- 1/4 c. plus 2 TB butter**
- 2 c. chopped onions (frozen are fine)
- 8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add the noodles to the boiling water with a few drops of vegetable oil. Lightly boil for 12 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Place the noodles in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp. of the nutmeg*. Using a spatula, toss gently.
- Melt 1/4 c. of the butter** and add to the noodles. Thoroughly but gently, with a spatula, toss the butter with the noodles.
- Saute the onions in the remaining 2 TB of butter** until slightly brown and translucent.
- Gently mix the onions into the noodle mixture.
- Spray a 8" x 12" glass baking dish*** with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Spread one-half of the noodle mixture into the dish and sprinkle one-half of the cheese on top.
- Spread the remaining noodle mixture on top of the first layer and sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top of this. Evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg* on top of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes or until hot. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Baby It's Cold Outside - Let's Have Spatzle!