The Perfect Take-Along Dish
Approximately 8 servings
- One 17.6 oz. bag spatzle (Swabian egg noodles)
- 1 TB plus 1 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. nutmeg (divided)
- 1/4 c. plus 2 TB butter (divided)
- 2 c. chopped onions (frozen are fine)
- 8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add the noodles to the boiling water with a 1 TB of the salt. Lightly boil for 12 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Place the noodles in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp. of the nutmeg and gently toss.
- Melt 1/4 c. of the butter and add to the noodles. Thoroughly, but gently, toss the butter with the noodles.
- Saute the onions in the remaining 2 TB of butter until slightly brown and translucent.
- Gently mix the onions into the noodle mixture.
- Spray a 8" x 12" glass baking dish* with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Spread one-half of the noodle mixture into the dish and sprinkle one-half of the cheese on top.
- Spread the remaining noodle mixture on top of the first layer and sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top of this. Evenly sprinkle the remaining 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg on top of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes or until hot. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Baby It's Cold Outside - Let's Have Spatzle!