I always make more mashed potatoes than I need just to enjoy these satisfying and delectable potato cakes!
Great as a side dish, as an appetizer or snack, or for breakfast, you'll look forward to having leftover mashed potatoes just so you can enjoy these amazing potato cakes!
How Many of Those Fabulous Cakes...
Approx. 8 cakes
- Approx. 3 c. leftover mashed potatoes (see my Rich-Rustic Mashed Potatoes)
- 2 cleaned and chopped whole green onion stalks (I just cut up with kitchen shears)
- 1 TB dried parsley flakes or 2 TB cleaned and chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TB all-purpose flour
- 1 slightly beaten large egg
- Add a little more salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, if need
- 2-3 TB avocado oil (or olive, or canola oil), divided*
- 2-3 TB salted butter, divided*
- Sour cream
- Mix all the above ingredients, except for the oil and butter.
- Refrigerate until cold for easier handling.
- Shape into about 2" patties with your hands.*
- Heat 2 TB of the oil and 2 TB of the butter on medium-high in a (preferably non-stick) large skillet, until a droplet of cold water pops and sizzles.
- Without crowding, carefully add a potato patty* one at a time into the hot oil. When the cakes are golden brown on the underside (cautiously lift the edge of each one to see if ready), very carefully turn or flip to the other side.* (I find using a rubber spatula to be the best way for me, or a very small or narrow spatula.) Cook until the other side is golden brown...then carefully remove to a paper towel-lined oven-proof plate or baking sheet and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Enjoy as is or with a dollop of sour cream.
- If not firm enough to shape into patties, just scoop by large spoonfuls into mounds into the hot oil...then carefully flatten and round out, if necessary, with the edge of a rubber spatula.
- After you flip all the cakes the first time, add another TB each of the oil and butter if needed.
- The cakes will probably not brown all at the same time, so you may have to flip/and or remove some before others.
Don't turn your back, cause they'll devour these scrumptious potato cakes before you can put them on the table! Enjoy!