You and yours are gonna love this crunchy salad as a wonderful side for entrees, or as a topping for sandwiches made with a hearty bread like those used for panini or flatbread sandwiches.
Read on to discover the ingredient in my blue cheese dressing that gives it such a special twist...
Colorful, Crunchy, Scrumptious and Satisfying...
Fall is Truly Here!
*The Blue Cheese Dressing (makes about 1/4 c.)
- 2 TB sour cream (I used reduced fat)
- 1 TB mayonnaise (I used mayo made w/olive oil)
- 2 tsp. honey (I used whipped clover honey)
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice (ideally fresh)
- dash (1/16 tsp.) of onion powder
- dash (1/16 tsp.) of, or to taste, freshly ground black pepper
- pinch (1/8 tsp.) of dried parsley flakes
- 3 TB crumbled blue cheese
- 2 c. cleaned, bite-size kale leaves
- 1/3 c. cleaned and peeled, shredded carrot (use larger part of your grater, or prepackaged shredded carrot)
- about 1/2 cleaned apple (I used Gala) cut into slivers, then cut into halves (about 1" pieces)
- about 2 TB toasted, medium-chopped walnut pieces*
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- about 1/4 c. blue cheese dressing*
The Blue Cheese Dressing
- Whisk all the ingredients together, gently stirring in the blue cheese last. It is better to refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight to let the flavors meld.
- Gently toss together the all the ingredients for the salad. Add the dressing right before serving.
- For an easy way to toast nuts, see my Pull-Apart Bead with Pumpkin Pie Spice Filling and Glaze and Toasted Pecans.
- Salt is not needed because the blue cheese is salty enough.
You'll feel like Autumn has truly arrived when you enjoy this simple, scrumptious and hearty salad!
By the way, did you find the unique ingredient that adds the perfect dimension to the dressing for this salad?