Subtle blackberries and creamy goat cheese temper the sweet peaches in this cool and refreshing summer salad, with walnuts adding a little crunch. This light and easy salad will serve as the perfect accompaniment to your warm-weather barbecues.
Peaches may be my favorite summer fruit. Sometimes, it can be difficult to find good ones. I got lucky this year and have been enjoying some pretty luscious, sweet peaches...just like those I remember from my childhood. I'm going to assume they are local; however, even those aren't always perfect. Nectarines would be a great substitute for peaches in this salad. In fact, I often use nectarines if I can't find the peaches I want. Pears, too, would be a good alternative to peaches in this recipe.
Whether you choose to enjoy this sweet and savory salad as a side or light entree, it's a marvelous way to enjoy the fruits of summer!
Refreshing and A Little Sweet...
Just Like You!
Serves approx. 4-6 as a side salad
- 5 oz. Spring Salad Mix, (also good with a mixture of sweet butter lettuce and spinach leaves)
- Table salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Approx. 1 c. sliced fresh peaches* (cleaned, peeled and pitted)
- Approx 3 oz. (or about 3/4 c.) fresh blackberries, cleaned and dried (cut large ones in half)
- Approx. 3 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- Approx. 1/3 c. chopped English walnuts
- Approx. 2-3 TB (or to taste...best to go lightly) Raspberry Pomegranate Dressing or Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing (I use Ken's Steak House)
- Just before serving, toss the salad mix with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the peaches, blackberries, goat cheese and walnuts...then gently mix.
- Add the dressing and lightly toss.
- Serve immediately.
- Not only would fresh nectarines be a good substitute for the peaches, but fresh pears would be also.
- This salad is very good with Rice Thin crackers (I like Nabisco Brown Rice Sea Salt & Pepper).
- Enjoy as is for a light entree, or add a some thinly sliced cooked turkey or chicken for a little more fulfilling meal.
Enjoy the dog days of Summer with this cool and easy scrumptious salad!