What A Whopper of....
About 6-8 Large Sandwich Cookies
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 16 oatmeal cookies (about 2 1/2" round each) (store-bought or homemade...I used crispy store-bought)
- Nonpareils and/or chocolate jimmies (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate baking chips: I prefer melting the chocolate in a double boiler over very low heat and (especially during cold weather) holding for dipping off the stove over a bowl or pan of just warm water. (It's critical to avoid getting any water or steam whatsoever in the chocolate.) However, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave, if you prefer, per package directions. Click here for a good tutorial from King Arthur Flour for melting, tempering and holding chocolate for dipping.
- Spread about 1-2 TB of the melted chocolate on the flat side of a cookie and place another cookie (flat side down) on top of it.
- With one hand, using tongs, dip the whole cookie into the melted chocolate and with the other hand spread (I prefer using a plastic knife) the chocolate over the cookie sandwich. Place onto the lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat this process using the rest of the cookies. Sprinkle each cookie with nonpareils or chocolate jimmies (optional).
- Freeze the pan of cookies to set for about 15 minutes.
- Bring to room temperature and serve.
They'll Love Every...Chocolaty, Crunchy Bite!
Slip each scrumptious cookie into a clear cellophane bag for an impressive little surprise or gift for someone special and Enjoy their utter delight!