I've since enjoyed this fantastic topping on so many different things that I decided (because it is so good and versatile) it should be canned! As a unique Valentine gift for friends and loved ones, present this wonderful topping in jars tied with pretty ribbons along with tags explaining care and suggested ways to use.
My favorite way to enjoy this decadent topping is to melt a little in the microwave and pour over freshly popped popcorn. I also love stirring a little into my coffee or hot cocoa...that little surprise crunch from toasted pecan pieces is such a treat!
Hey, on Valentine's Day (or any day for that matter), wouldn't you just love to awaken to a tray of fluffy French toast doused with a luscious pecan praline topping...I bet your loved one(s) would!
Let Me Count The Ways"
Fills approx. 6/ea. half-pint size glass canning jars
- 1c. salted butter
- 2 c. coarsely chopped pecans*
- 3 c. firmly packed, light brown sugar
- 1 c. heavy cream (I use evaporated milk)
- 1 c. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. orange extract (I use...but this is optional)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Toast the pecans in the butter over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, cream and corn syrup, then bring to a rolling boil.
- Cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and blend in the orange extract.
- Cool and fill cleaned jars, leaving an approximate 1/2" headspace. Stir a little to distribute the pecans (they tend to rise to the surface), wipe the jars and seal.
- Stores well at room temperature up to 1 month.*
- I've found that this topping stores well up to a month (plus) after opened. However, if you are more comfortable refrigerating it, go ahead. It already tends to thicken once cooled, but should thicken even more once refrigerated.
- To make more pourable, gently microwave what you need a little at a time for about 10 seconds on 30% power.
- To present as gifts, tie pretty ribbons on the jar along with a tag with directions on how to care for and suggested ways to use.
- This sauce is incredibly versatile: It's terrific not only as a topping for ice cream, but also for cakes, cookies, brownies, cheesecake, baked brie, French toast, pancakes, waffles, apple slices, freshly popped popcorn or in your coffee or hot cocoa.
Butter Pecan Glaze, i.e. Pecan Praline Topping!
There are probably many other ways to enjoy this fabulous sauce that I've not even listed. How would you love to use this rich, luscious pecan praline topping?
Yum! Pinned to save!ReplyDelete
I am too busy to try this before Christmas however, I plan to give it a go in the new year, it sounds so yummy.ReplyDelete
Thanks Isabelle! It's so versatile, I know you'll enjoy any time!Delete