Isn't It Gorgeous!
If you're looking for an easy, light and delicious salad that makes a fantastic presentation, you'll love...
MY DAUGHTER'S VERSION OF CAPRESE SALAD
Ingredients (Per Serving)
- 1 fresh tomato (I used a vine-ripe tomato* in the photos; my daughter typically uses Roma)
- approx. 3 slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese ball (approx. 2 1/2 oz.)
- approx. 3-4 large, fresh basil leaves + 1 for plate garnish (approx. 3-5 total)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- Wash (under cool water) and dry the tomato and pat dry the basil leaves.
- Slice the tomato and the cheese into approx. 1/4" slices.
- Stack or overlap (repeating until one tomato is used) in this order: one tomato slice--add salt & pepper, cheese, basil leaf.* End with a tomato slice and, if you like, a basil leaf.
- Lightly sprinkle the vinegar over the salad.
- Garnish the plate with a basil leaf.
*Tips: If you can use homegrown tomatoes, all the better! If you elect to stack the salad, secure the first layer with a toothpick and use additional ones as you need while you stack. (I probably used three toothpicks in the photo of the stacked salad.)
While I was photographing the stacked salad in my courtyard, a big bolt of lightning frightened me! The layered salad was photographed inside!
Great, a dish you can enjoy with no guilt!