Isn't It Gorgeous!
If you're looking for an easy, light and delicious salad that makes a fantastic presentation, you'll love...
MY DAUGHTER'S VERSION OF CAPRESE SALAD
Ingredients (Per Serving)
- 1 fresh tomato (I used a vine-ripe tomato* in the photos; my daughter typically uses Roma)
- approx. 3 slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese ball (approx. 2 1/2 oz.)
- approx. 3-4 large, fresh basil leaves + 1 for plate garnish (approx. 3-5 total)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- Wash (under cool water) and dry the tomato and pat dry the basil leaves.
- Slice the tomato and the cheese into approx. 1/4" slices.
- Stack or overlap (repeating until one tomato is used) in this order: one tomato slice--add salt & pepper, cheese, basil leaf.* End with a tomato slice and, if you like, a basil leaf.
- Lightly sprinkle the vinegar over the salad.
- Garnish the plate with a basil leaf.
*Tips: If you can use homegrown tomatoes, all the better! If you elect to stack the salad, secure the first layer with a toothpick and use additional ones as you need while you stack. (I probably used three toothpicks in the photo of the stacked salad.)
While I was photographing the stacked salad in my courtyard, a big bolt of lightning frightened me! The layered salad was photographed inside!
Great, a dish you can enjoy with no guilt!
What a delicious summer recipe...and how wonderful that you can use your own basil! Nothing is better. Thank you for sharing such an inspiring recipe. I want to get into my kitchen now. I hope you are having a beautiful and bountiful Monday!ReplyDelete
@Monet - So good to hear from you! The basil truly makes this recipe! I'm very excited about my herbs. I've never really had time to try to garden. I think I've got the sunlight thing down--I'm working on the watering part! Have a great week!ReplyDelete
This looks delicious and healthy! I can't wait for tomatoes to appear in our farmers' market. My basil is doing well. I see pesto for the freezer soon.ReplyDelete
@From the Kitchen - Well hello Bonnie! I hope to see my brother show up soon with some homegrown tomatoes! I need your recipe for homemade pesto...I didn't know it was a freezer candidate. Basil seems to be the easiest herb I've tried so far to grow in my container garden. Yes, please try the stacked Caprese salad recipe...it is delicious!ReplyDelete
I love your daughter's version of caprese salad! And your basil is gorgeous!ReplyDelete
@Dulce Dough - Thanks Jill! It's so easy and refreshing! Have a great Father's Day weekend!ReplyDelete