For your next tailgate or get-together (how about Labor Day!), just pack up your ingredients and assemble once you arrive. Toast the bread before you leave, or at the event...at a tailgate, simply toast your bread on the grill!
So very attractive and so very easy...
Makes Me Hungry Just To Look At These...
Better Toast Some More Bread!
Serves approx. 6-8
- 1 ripe avocado, cleaned
- Sprinkle of lime juice (for preservation and flavor!)
- 12/ea. about 2" slices of thinly cut French bread, toasted
- 12/ea. grape tomatoes, cleaned and sliced in half lengthwise
- Approx. 1 1/2 slices cooked bacon...I use turkey bacon (Also, good with candied turkey or candied pork bacon), torn into about 1/2" pieces...each slice yields about 8 pieces
- Table or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparing The Avocado Spread
(Use sterling silver or sturdy plastic implements for preparing the avocado.) Remove and set aside the seed to the avocado. Roughly mash (just enough to spread) the avocado and sprinkle with a little lime juice. If you're not using the spread immediately, place the reserved seed into the center of the mashed avocado and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the spread. These methods will help preserve the color of the avocado spread for about 10 hours in the fridge; and when served, for about 2 hours at room temperature...these are also good ways to help retain the color of guacamole.
Assembling Each Crostini
- Spread about 1-2 TB of the mashed avocado onto a slice of the toasted French bread.
- To stabilize the tomato halves, slightly embed two each, flesh side up, into the spread avocado, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (If using sea salt, go easy.)
- Leaving some of the tomato exposed, lay 2-3 pieces of the bacon on top of the tomato halves, slightly pressing the edges of the bacon into the avocado. Bingo...ready to serve!
Better Grab A Couple Now....