When my children were small, I was always trying to think of healthy snacks. They just loved this easy peanut-butter/honey popcorn I concocted. I didn't really bother to make it into balls or anything; I just made one big bowl and had a lot of napkins handy. Now, you could do that and maybe dish into individual bowls; or if you wanted it to be a little more neat (and attractive), you could serve as popcorn balls in individual paper cups, as per the directions I've given below. You can make it with smooth or crunchy peanut butter...I prefer crunchy, although it seems some people, especially children, prefer smooth. I also experimented with combining Nutella and peanut butter, which my brother really liked! (My favorite is the peanut-butter/honey combination, but I like both...it's fun to have a little variety!)
Ooey-Gooey Can Be Healthy!
And Fun For Kids of All Ages!
Makes approx. 14 popcorn balls
- 12 cups air-popped* popcorn (approx. 3/8 c. unpopped popcorn)
- 1/2 c. peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, even reduced fat works well!)
- 1/2 c. honey (I love the whipped clover honey*!)
- I use a gadget especially made for air popping popcorn in the microwave.
- Kroger has a very competitive price on their brand of whipped clover honey (fancy, pure white honey).
- You can use Nutella in lieu of the honey for a peanut-butter/chocolate popcorn, just add 1/4 cup of light corn syrup.
- Mix the peanut butter and honey together and melt in the microwave for 15 seconds on 50% power. Thoroughly but gently combine the mixture well with the popcorn in a large bowl.
- For the popcorn balls, use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to measure the mixture for each ball and release onto a piece of cello-wrapping paper sprayed with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Gather the wrapping paper around the popcorn mixture; squeeze and shape into a ball with your hands, then release into a paper cup.
- If you're feeling extra casual, just scoop servings into individual bowls.
So reward them with a special treat after a slash in the pool or as a snack after playing outside all afternoon...or just cuddle up with your loved one(s) and enjoy while watching that summer movie! They'll all watch their "p's and q's" for this ooey-gooey treat!
What's That Got to do with this?
He's a two-fisted lemon eater!
Keeps My Grandson Happy When We Eat Out!