This salad is fabulous with crumbled goat or feta cheese...I like it best with goat cheese. Layering the ingredients, rather than tossing them, preserves the color and texture. Reserve the dressing until right before you serve the salad; because, otherwise, you'll be draining the dressing along with any accumulated watermelon juice.
Cold and Refreshing...
And Pretty Guilt-Free!
Serves approximately 8
- approx. 9 c....or about 1/2 of a medium, chilled, seedless, ripe watermelon...flesh cut into about 2" large chunks
- 5 oz. crumbled goat (or feta) cheese
- 1 c. washed and dried fresh blueberries
- lime dressing, chilled (I use Paul Newman's Lite Lime Vinaigrette.)
- sprig of fresh mint for garnish
- Layer the salad: Begin with the watermelon, then add the blueberries and sprinkle with the cheese. Repeat the layers until your bowl is full...the size of your bowl will determine the number of layers and how the ingredients should be divided. Do not toss the salad!
- Can be made up to one day ahead. Right before you serve, drain any accumulated watermelon juice; shake the dressing well and lightly drizzle on the salad.
- Garnish with a spring of fresh mint.
You, your family and guests can enjoy all you want of this pretty guilt-free salad!
My grandson, now four, gets so excited anticipating the whole watermelon he'll receive on the Fourth...it's tradition!
A "Whooole" Watermelon....
Just For Me!