I just happened to have Triple Sec (probably left over from my adult son's Bris?...I dunno). In lieu of the Triple Sec, Cointreau should work well; however, if you want to substitute for that (as my handy list suggests), you might try frozen orange juice concentrate. This could easily be a "Virgin Pie"!
This pie is amazingly easy and absolutely delicious! Just make sure you freeze it well (at least overnight) before you serve it!
What'll Ya Have?
Inspired by Southern On Occasion cookbook offered by the Junior League of Cobb-Marietta, GA @ www.jlcm.org as seen in Our Town Magazine
Serves 6- 8
- 1 1/4 c. finely crushed pretzels (approx. 4 oz.)*
- 1/2 c. butter (You can use margarine, but I've used both in this recipe and...as Paula D would agree...butter is better!)
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated!)
- 1/3 c. frozen lime juice concentrate (for limeade)
- 3 TB Tequila or guava nectar canned beverage (fairly easy to find...Kroger carries it)
- 3 TB Triple Sec (which I used) or Cointreau (or you could try frozen orange juice concentrate)
- One 8 oz. container frozen whipped topping (slightly thawed for about 10 minutes)
- One can whipped cream for garnish
- One lime for garnish
*Tip: Crush the pretzels finely...not into a powder. Crushing between two sheets of wax paper with a rolling pin works well.
- Melt the butter in the microwave on 50% power for about 15 seconds at a time until liquid. Mix the melted butter well with the crushed pretzels and sugar. Spray a 9" freezable pie plate with a butter-flavored cooking spray. Press the crumb mixture as evenly as possible over the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Whisk the condensed milk, frozen lime juice concentrate, Tequila or guava nectar and Triple Sec or Cointreau (or frozen orange juice concentrate) in a bowl and mix well. Thoroughly mix in the slightly thawed whipped topping.
- Pour the pie filling into the prepared pan and freeze at least overnight.
- Zest about 1/2 the lime and make lime curls with the other half.
- Just before serving, pipe either the whole pie or one slice at a time with the whipped cream and garnish with the lime zest and about two lime curls per slice. Beautiful!**
Have Your Drink & Eat It Too!
You and your guests will enjoy and find this light and refreshing dessert the perfect ending to your perfect summer meal.
Excuse me, my mouth has been watering the whole time I was preparing this post...I have to get another slice!