What A Way To Start The Day!
Or, Take A Mid-Day Break!
Adapted from cooks.com recipe search
Makes 18 muffins
- 3/4 c. Kellogg's Original All-Bran cereal
- 1 c. buttermilk*
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 c. light brown sugar
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 1/4 c. sifted all-purpose bleached baking flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- optional: 1/2 c. toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 c. fresh or frozen raspberries*
*Tips: Since I don't typically buy buttermilk, I use Saco cultured buttermilk blend which is a canned powder: refer to the can for directions and proportions on mixing with water. If you elect to use this blend, I suggest you make a cup ahead for this recipe and add as you normally would add buttermilk. I've found this blend at Kroger and Walmart, and you can also order it through Amazon.
The original recipe called for raisins and carrots or apples. These sound like great options if you want to try them: see the link above.
- In a medium bowl, mix the All-Bran, buttermilk, egg, brown sugar and vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 425º and let the muffin batter stand for 10 minutes.
- In a larger bowl, combine the dry ingredients (and the optional nuts if you like).
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the buttermilk-bran mixture: mix just enough to incorporate the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the raspberries. The batter should be lumpy.
- Line the muffin tins with paper liners or grease well. Fill 1/2 full with the batter. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a muffin. Cool the muffins in the pans about 5 minutes before releasing.
*Since I've made this recipe, I've made a raspberry butter which would be fantastic with these muffins...see my Very Berry Butter (adapted from Foodista).